"Without Purse Or Script"

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Past Progression

Led to this wonderful place by design, I spent the past 6 months in the heart of our California Mission, beautiful Santa Rosa.  As you read from Elder Menasco and Sister Nestman, this place has truly changed our lives.  In the next few moments, I hope your heart will be touched with experiences that have strengthened my faith and helped me to have a greater desire to follow our Savior, Jesus Christ.  It is true that the people bring the change in our lives. 

Ever action has a consequence.  Every choice we make has an affect on our life and on the lives of others.  I reflect upon a family that has gently reminded me of this reality.  It was my privilege to come to know them and to share experiences with them, filling my heart with gratitude and love.  Two young men in this family I grew a particular love and respect for.  Despite their past decisions and the adversity that they have had to face, some as a result of their own bad decisions, they have shown me how to endure and be patient.  Their trials have not ceased even though they have made the decision to change their lives and seek for the better, in fact, it has increased in difficulty in many ways.  Every day they make the efforts to move their lives in a direction which pleases God.

Another young man touched my life in a way that he may not completely understand.  Brought to the knowledge of God though a dear friend of his, he was always willing to live the gospel that we taught.  It made me think back to the times that I struggled to follow the counsel Church leaders had given, how I tried to justify just small actions that may have not weighed eternal consequences.  However, I saw blessings come and saw blessings go.  Ben however, was always more than willing and happy to accept the invitation to follow the counsel the Lord gives us.  After his testing period of these changes in his life, he has come to live them.  Living the gospel is the greatest example that he has set for me and others.  It is in his smile, his family, and it is his life.

These people are just a few of the blessings that have come to my life.  It started with a call to serve in this beautiful place and ends with the hearts of these people.  They bring the spirit into my life, to bring a change and a desire to live better.  These people are what make the difference.  My heart is changed.  My perspective anew.  My life is the Lord's.  Why?  Because these are his children, I am his Son, and He is the way.  I have experienced and seen others share the same change as we have made progress to move closer to Christ.  Our past does not weigh us down, we arise each day with a bright hope.  With a willing heart, we find the blessings of heaven.  I have been touched.  Check out Elder Dane Jones post on Saturday! He will update us on the blessings he has seen here!

2 comments:

  1. There are so many poeple that come into our lives and change us for the better. So grateful for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's incredible how much the people we teach end up teaching Us about faith. And humbling. :)

    ReplyDelete