"Without Purse Or Script"

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Our Faith Can Make Us Grow

I remember back when I was a boy, I would often go to the store with my mom and keep her company while she shopped.  I would always ask for a hundred things that we never needed, but for some reason she was always willing to let me get just a little something.  I used to love to get the magic grow animals.  These little toys just intrigued me; you just drop them in water and they would grow to be huge!  Although I lacked the patience to sit and watch them grow, I would find myself coming back to the glass to observe them and see how they grew.  I was always astonished at how long it would take for these animals to grow, but I knew that by the end they would reach their full potential. 

We, in many ways, are like these little animals.  Often times we may feel small or inadequate or as if we cannot measure up to the tasks that we sometimes face in life.  However, just like placing us these animals in water, we too must build up our faith and immerse our lives around that.  As we do so, we begin to see not only our faith, but we ourselves grow.  Our faith begins to become manifest in our daily lives (Alma 32:41).  Although we may not notice this growth over night, as we look back on our lives we will see that change has occurred, despite the slow process.  Like these animals, however hard things may get, we must not be removed from our reservoirs of faith, or we will ultimately shrink noticing our insecurities and inadequacies once again.  We must continue to grow, and we will if we but continue to immerse ourselves completely in our faith in Christ.

3 comments:

  1. AMEN!!! Its hard to be patient with ourselves when we are tying to make those changes in our lives. But i know that as we continue to have faith and keep the Lords commandments we will be ables to make those changes and to be more like Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved getting those grow animals too! i always liked to watch them! I love comparing our growth in the gospel to the animals! great post Elder McBride

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been so happy to be compared to an animal shaped sponge. :) Great analogy Elder McBride!

    ReplyDelete