"Without Purse Or Script"

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Just Like Playing Ball...



  Today's blog is coming to you from the best Canadian I know, my brother from another mother...Elder Bohnet! (That will also explain why he chose Steve Nash as the basketball player).  Have you ever been watching a basketball game and been like, man that guy is such a good shooter. I have played basketball a little and I think I'm a... decent shooter, and I know the work that goes into becoming a good shooter. When we are watching the game we only see the what that person has become, we don't always see how they got there. It takes a long time practicing, a lot of frustration, at times, and some excel quicker than others. Those who push through the rough days and keep going are the ones who become something great.

This is true in our own spirituality. I often look at others and think wow, that person is really spiritual. They didn't become like that overnight. I'm sure that it took hours of study and prayer. I'm sure sometimes they felt hopeless and that there prayers were not being answered. If we push through those hard times and diligently seek out our Father in Heaven the answers will come. A Book of Mormon prophet said, "And because of your diligence and your faith and your patience with the word in nourishing it, that it may take root in you, behold, by and by ye shall pluck the fruit thereof, which is most precious, which is sweet above all that is sweet, and which is white above all that is white, yea, and pure above all that is pure; and ye shall feast upon this fruit even until ye are filled, that ye hunger not, neither shall ye thirst," (Alma 32:42). The key is to be patient, diligent, and have faith. If we do, we can come to know spiritual truths and feel the joy and satisfaction that comes from living the Gospel.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I love the comparison. We all know that even after we become good at a sport or musical instrument, it still takes daily practice to maintain our talent. However, I think it is easy to forget that it is the same with our spirituality. It must be a daily part of lives.

    ReplyDelete