"Without Purse Or Script"

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stepping Stones

Lately, I have been thinking about how we overcome our struggles and change.  I have thought back on sports and how there was so much change for me, before I was really any good.  I swam for many years and enjoyed it, but it became very frustrating when I was not performing to the ability I felt I could.  As I struggled, practice after practice, trying to find out why I could not do better, I finally turned to coach, and asked him for help, because simply pushing through on my own was not doing the trick.  After having countless hours of stroke technique and changing the habitiual ways, I soon found myself slowing down and doing worse.  Discouragement set in and I thought it wasn't going to work.  But with the help of my coach, I learned that persistance in the change would bring the greatest outcome, and though it felt uncomfortable, it would not be long, until it became natural. 

This is a lot like living the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  We come to believe in Christ and try to change our lives to live how God wants us to.  But no matter how hard we try, we cannot make that change alone.  We cannot rely on our own strengths, or will power to get us through, we need the help of Jesus Christ.  Then, just like coach, He will shape us into who we need to be to return to Him, and achieve peace in this life and eternal life in the world to come.  And though the way may be hard, it is not impossible, though the habits we must break seem too difficult, it can be done, and He will be there to help us every step of the way.  I know that change may take time, but it will become natrual and it will become who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment